httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Crocker" <dcroc...@eschertech.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] What is best way to interface a C++ app with Apache?
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:04:11 GMT
Thanks, Joshua. My worry about plain CGI is the time taken to set up the
process, given that I expect about 20Mb of code to be involved, which presumably
has to be loaded from disk (or cache) every time a request comes in.

My impression is that ISAPI and FastCGI do more or less the same thing, except
that FastCGI only works with Apache, and ISAPI works with either IIS or Apache
but only under Windows.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:jslive@gmail.com]
Sent: 13 December 2004 18:02
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] What is test way to interface a C++ app with Apache?

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:44:58 -0000, David Crocker <dcrocker@eschertech.com>
wrote:
> I am quoting a client for a web-based application and I will be
> recommending Apache 2.0 as the web server. The code will be C++
> generated by a code generator (it can also generate Java, but it
> generates better C++). The platform will probably be Windows, although
> my preference is to keep the solution cross-platform as far as
> possible.
>
> I have already demonstrated a pilot using Apache with the application
> built to use the CGI interface. However, CGI will probably be too slow
> for the production version (the program will be large and there will
> be a number of concurrent users). So, what is the best way of
> interfacing a C++ program to Apache?
>
> - FastCGI ?
> - ISAPI ?
> - something else?

It sounds like you'll want something that is as loosely-coupled as possible with
the web server.  If that is the case, I'd definitely do fastCGI.

(I would even try benchmarking plain CGI under load.  CGI is only a performance
issue to the extent that it takes time to launch processes.  Once the process is
launched, it will be just as quick as any other solution.  So if you can launch
the processes fast enough, CGI will probably work fine.)

Joshua.