httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ralf Glauberman" <rglauber...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Traffic Configuration: Memory Usage, Threads Etc
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:29:42 GMT

From: David Rickard
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 9:07 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Apache Traffic Configuration: Memory Usage, Threads
Etc

Apache Version: 2.0.47
Tomcat Version: 4.1.29
Connector: mod_jk
Server: SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250

We use a custom Java application (servlets and JSPs) used to track employee
hours, project costs and details, sales etc; management is considering using
the system company-wide, which means making it accessible to 1000+ employees
per shift.  We need to analyze the system to determine its current load
(memory and CPU usage, number of child threads spawned etc) and extrapolate
to the potential usage to see if it's practical for us.

To do this analysis we need to know the maximum clients we can support: we
know maximum simultaneous requests is determined by MaxClients, which in
turn is dependent on the MPM mode Apache is running in; we need to know: a)
how to determine which MPM module is running; b) how many average processes
or threads Apache is spawning; and c) how much memory and CPU each
process/thread is using.

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

TechBooks/GTS
Your Single Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA * York, PA * Boston,MA * New Delhi, India
Visit us on the World Wide Web http://www.techbooks.com

david.rickard@techbooks.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331