httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help with trailing slash
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 06:56:51 GMT
> Jay O'Brien; 2004 December 28 Tuesday 16:53
>
>> Leif W wrote:
>>
>> All of these seemed to work just fine with no trailing slash using
>> Mozilla Firefox 1.0, Mozilla 1.8a5 and IE6 under WinXP over the
>> internet.
>>
>>  http://66.93.180.184
>>  http://66.93.180.184/rl
>>  http://66.93.180.184/sscc
>>  http://66.93.180.184/tech
>>

> Interesting. The /rl and /sscc still don't work here, and I have
> made no changes. What blows me away is that the /tech address works
> fine, but the others don't. I'll try another computer on that ISP,
> and perhaps someone else will try http://66.93.180.184/rl and report
> that it didn't work for them until they added a trailing slash. It
> would be nice if the problem is only my test computer, but I doubt it.

Again, I tried, and succeeded at all 4 instances.  Additionally, I used
the extremely useful LiveHTTPHeaders extension for Mozilla Firefox (
http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ ).  The trailing slash is
automatically appended by the client after the IP address (or domain
name, or :port), so the server gets a usable request ( GET / ), and
there's no problem.  The other three all send back a permanent redirect
(301), the browser asks for the address specified by the redirect, and I
get a status ok (200).  I'd highly recommend LiveHTTPHeaders, to
definitively see what your browser sees, from all locations: on the
machine (if possible), on the LAN, and from multiple internet sites.
Apache seems to be working just fine from this part of the net.

> I agree on "use the trailing slash". However, I can't control folks
> who
> have learned to look for my url, a slash, followed by two or three
> letters and no slash. That works fine on my present server; I would
> like
> to emulate that behavior on my own (to be the backup) server. My
> present
> commercial server uses Apache 1.3.31; it seems to me I should be able
> make mine work the same.

For me at least, it seems to be working.  I have no idea what IPs I've
been getting with this dialup, as it is not my usual connection, but
it's been going to the same phone number, which I presume yields the
same modem pool and thus a relatively small number of IPs owned by the
same ISP and sent through the same network (routers, switches).

>>>Following http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html
>>>I tried the following:

[snip]

> Ok, but that's all I could find that seems to address the trailing
> slash
> problem, so that's what I tried.

I'd definitely comment those guys out and approach this from a point of
view that some device between your client machine and the server is
mangling your packets (low level, NAT, MASQ, etc.) or HTTP requests and
between my connection (blocks of dynamic IPs) that is automatically
fixing the problem.  But I've rarely known this to be the case.  ;-)

>> I have no idea why.  :p  Try reformatting the hard disk and
>> reinstalling
>> everything on the client machine, becaused that's just not right.
>> ;-)
>> Joking.
>
> Good answer, but the client machine gets the pages just fine on my
> commercial server. BTW, have you ever worked in tech support? :-)

Yes, for an ISP, some years ago, doing among other things, web (95%
Apache) & dialup.  I don't know if it's scarier or more painful for me
or for the customer.  Catbert was my protégé but I had to let him go for
showing mercy.  :-D

>> Maybe it was a firewall misconfig?
>>
> Yes, I think this could be the issue. I really don't know what the
> Linksys
> BEFSR41 does when it connects port 80 to the Apache server.

Neither do I.  O.o  I would rather screw something up by myself in an
infinite number of ways at my whim, rather than be stuck to one screwed
up way which I couldn't change.  Some screw ups actually work, and it's
almost entirely accidental.  ;-)  However the time spent arduously
rereading the manuals and scratching my head as I try to troubleshoot is
anything but accidental.

>> Either specify the two addresses explicitly, or use 0.0.0.0 to listen
>> on
>> all addresses.
>>
>> Listen 192.168.1.9:80
>> Listen 66.93.180.184:80
>>
>> NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.9:80
>> NameVirtualHost 66.93.180.184:80
>>
>> <VirtualHost 66.93.180.184:80 192.168.1.9:80>
>>     ServerName whatever:80
>
> Thanks, I'll play with that.

Oh yeah, don't forget (Listen|(Name|)VirtualHost|ServerName)
127.0.0.1:80 if you're going to be accessing from localhost.

Leif