httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Qs: server maintenance, URL redirection, etc
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:25:34 GMT
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:25:02 -0600, Matthew England
<mengland@mengland.net> wrote:

> 1) When I take down only a certain application (again, like phpBB), I want
> all phpbb-specific URLs to go to a phpbb-specific "under construction"
> area, rather then having all the invalid/404 URLs directed to an "invalid"
> page.  More specifically, I want ever URL with
> https://<servername>/forums/* (because phpbb dir maps to "/forums") to
> temporarily go to an alternative web page...but only the /forums/* links
> (and not any of the others).  How do I do this?  I see no mention of
> finding out what URL the client is attempting to access at
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#errordocument .

Like most directives, ErrorDocument can be scoped in <Directory>,
<Location>, etc, to limit its applicability to particular areas.

But your problem might just as well be served with a
Redirect temp /forums http://yourserver.example.com/forums-temporarily-gone.html

As far as giving yourself access, you can setup an Alias pointing at
the same area with a different URL that wouldn't be hit by the
Redirect.

> 2) I am hoping theres a general FAQ/RTFM site/page that points out
> strategies for gracefully managing Apache server/app downtime in
> general.  eg, can I redirect my main server that I'm working on and testing
> to another port (eg, 8080 for normal port, 444 for altnerative SSL port,
> etc) to do this?  If so, this does not always jive with server apps (eg,
> many of them assume a root URL in their underlying config/database).  I'm
> sure this a common FAQ that's answered somewhere.

Well, there are so many different variations on how to do this that it
would be impossible to have a simple guide.  It depends entirely on
your requirements.

It is certainly possible to have the server accessible under different
ports by adjusting the Listen (and possible VirtualHost and
ServerName) directive.

Joshua.