httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kristina Clair <kcl...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] MPM and AcceptMutex questions
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:05:14 GMT
Hi All,

I've been reading a bit about Apache2 performance tuning.  I'm
particularly interested in reducing the memory usage as much as
possible.

I'm running apache2 on redhat 7.3 servers with very heavy http
traffic.  I'm wondering if it might be wise for me to try to use the
worker MPM rather than the default prefork.  Does anyone have any
real-world experience with this?

Also, I recently encountered a problem with the mutex device - I'm
using the default AcceptMutex setting, which is sysvsem, but it is
leaving semaphores around when httpd is restarted.  It seems like the
two main recommendations for fixing this are to either increase the
max number of semaphores in the kernel or use AcceptMutex fcntl
instead.  Again, has anyone had any experience with this? It's probably
also important to note that the files that apache serves are nfs - does this
give me a disadvantage if I try to use fcntl?

Thanks!
Kristina