httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: [users@httpd] Java and Apache Web Server
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:44:51 GMT
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Steffen Heil wrote:

> Hi
>
> > That's certainly not true.  Apache has always supported a range of dynamic
> content, ...
>
> Which? I don't believe that apache itself serves anything dynamic.
> All dynamic things I can think of in apache are implemented in modules or
> suexec'ed.

Modules, of course.  Everything Apache does is implemented in modules.

> Am I missing something?
> How would you write dynamic pages with apache only?

See for example valet.webthing.com or www.apachetutor.org amongst the
sites for which I am responsible.

> > and since Apache 2.0 has been a powerful applications platform in its own
> right, without any need for the older extensions such as CGI, PHP, or indeed
> tomcat.
>
> Please explain this. I would be very interested...

See for example my last years ApacheCon presentation, or intro to the
request processing cycle at http://www.apachetutor.org/dev/request

> I want to make clear, that servlets and servlet containers are much more
> flexible that cgi programms. There are lots of things, servlets can do,
> which cgi's cannot.

Erm, I don't believe that.  CGI can do a very great deal indeed.
It's not usually the best option for a given application, but that's
a different issue.

>	 mod_gcj is propably a great project, if you want to
> write cgis in java and I will keep track on it.

I thought it was more general-purpose than that.  But ICBW.

>	 There are a lot of great use
> cases. However, it will never repalce a servlet container, exspecially since
> those may deliver complerer J2EE frameworks.

>From where I'm sitting, J2EE is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
And the fact you can't run Java from CGI is down to JAVA rather than CGI.

> > Nonsense.  If used as a cacheing proxy it can speed it up significantly.
> > And mod_jk should now be superseded by mod_proxy, since the tomcat folks
> implemented the proxy load balancer and the proxy_ajp protocol module.
> > That was about 2-3 months ago IIRC.
>
> This depends largely on your projects. Most of your servlerts need to
> disable caching, since different users get different views to the
> information. This is propably true for most web applications.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  HTTP has some excellent mechanisms for
dealing with proxying of dynamic contents.  As a rule of thumb, they
work rather well *except* when an applications developer subverts them
because "this content is dynamic so can't be cached".

--
Nick Kew