httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AW: [users@httpd] Java and Apache Web Server
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:01:13 GMT
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Steffen Heil wrote:

> Hi
>
> > I am a new user of Apache Web Server. I am familiar with Tomcat. The
> reason that I start to use Apache Web Server is that I guess the performance
> of Apache Web Server is better than Tomcat. But I am not sure if the Java
> based Web applications developed over Tomcat can be migrated to Apache Web
> Server or not. Could you please give me a hand?
>
> You chose the wrong way.
> Apache cannot serve servlets or jsp pages. Apache is a webserver for static
> files only.

That's certainly not true.  Apache has always supported a range of dynamic
content, and since Apache 2.0 has been a powerful applications platform
in its own right, without any need for the older extensions such as CGI,
PHP, or indeed tomcat.

> However, the only way to serve java web applications with apache is to
> connect it to a tomcat instance. It cannot do it alone.

I'm not sure how true that is since mod_gcj, but that's certainly the
usual way to use java with apache.

> Moreover the overhead of apache and mod_jk[2] additionally slows your
> application down.

Nonsense.  If used as a cacheing proxy it can speed it up significantly.
And mod_jk should now be superseded by mod_proxy, since the tomcat folks
implemented the proxy load balancer and the proxy_ajp protocol module.
That was about 2-3 months ago IIRC.

--
Nick Kew