httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Java and Apache Web Server
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:19:06 GMT
Plain text please...

Apache is great for serving static content. Tomcat is great for
java-based dynamic content. The usual approach is for apache to work as
the front-end server receiving requests from the web. If the request is
for static data, apache serves it immediately. If its for dynamic data,
apache proxies the request to Tomcat.

Of course, apache can also generate dynamic data using CGI,PHP, ASP
etc...

However, I would argue that there is no point converting working
java-based applications on Tomcat to CGI. But it's up to you - if you
just have a couple of simple apps, it might be simpler to migrate them
to Perl CGI and then you don't need the hassle of running Tomcat too.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: Bing Li [mailto:bing.li@asu.edu]
Sent: Sonntag, 7. November 2004 08:09
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Java and Apache Web Server

Hi, all,

I am a new user of Apache Web Server. I am familiar with Tomcat. The
reason that I start to use Apache Web Server is that I guess the
performance of Apache Web Server is better than Tomcat. But I am not
sure if the Java based Web applications developed over Tomcat can be
migrated to Apache Web Server or not. Could you please give me a hand?

Thanks so much!
Bing Li

Groupe SWX.

views of the sender's company.