httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] ServerType inetd
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:14:27 GMT

You learn something every day - it never occurred to me you could run
apache under inetd!

> The blurb below doesn't mention any stability reasons for running
> apache in inetd, just that it has a high per connection cost.
>
> What does the blurb mean by "does not always work properly"? examples?
>
> Also inetd mode Is not recommended, is that because of the high price
> per connection or instability?

I don't rightly know, but if the manual writer takes the trouble to put
something in red ink, I'd tend to go along with him... I suppose the
problem is that apache can take an indeterminate time to start up
(especially if there are any hostnames in the config and it needs to
DNS-lookup) and inetd is not the most patient of things...

I do have something constructive to suggest however, which is that if
you want to reduce the impact of apache on the system, it is possible to
run it as a daemon but in single-user mode (so it won't spawn a swarm of
child servers). This is done using the "-X" switch to httpd (eg, you
could edit apachectl to include this).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Also on a completely different track, is it possible to run apache so
> that it doesn't daemonize but still forks off children?
> (e.g. sshd -D)
>
> Thanks,
> -Nick
>

> > The ServerType directive sets how the server is executed by the
> > system. Type is one of
> >
> > inetd
> > 		The server will be run from the system process
> inetd; the command to
> > start the server is added to /etc/inetd.conf
> > standalone
> > 		The server will run as a daemon process; the
> command to start the
> > server is added to the system startup scripts. (/etc/rc.local or
> > /etc/rc3.d/....)
> >
> > Inetd is the lesser used of the two options. For each http
> connection
> > received, a new copy of the server is started from scratch;
> after the
> > connection is complete, this program exits. There is a high
> price to
> > pay per connection, but for security reasons, some admins
> prefer this
> > option. Inetd mode is no longer recommended and does not
> always work
> > properly. Avoid it if at all possible.
> >
> > Standalone is the most common setting for ServerType since
> it is far
> > more efficient. The server is started once, and services all
> > subsequent connections. If you intend running Apache to
> serve a busy
> > site, standalone will probably be your only option.

views of the sender's company.