httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Strange access log entries and .htaccess
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:31:46 GMT

Any time you get funny log entries, try popping them into google. If you
do this with "/uri-res/N2R?urn:sha1" you'll get a lot of hits revealing
that this is a URI used by various peer-to-peer filesharing protocols
which run over HTTP (eg,
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/gtk-gnutella/gtk-gnutella-current/
doc/gnutella/PFSP?rev=HEAD)

So it looks like the client thinks your server is a gnutella peer. In
any case, your server is responding with status 416 (4xx is a client
error) and this particular one means "416 Requested Range Not
Satisfiable"... whatever that might mean. So there's no problem - the
request is being ignored.

My guess is you *were* running Limewire or similar and some clients
think you still are, or you're running apache with "Listen 6346" - ie,
apache is listening to gnutella requests.

> Second: I cannot get the .htaccess to have any effect on
> password protecting
> certain (or any)directories. I have tried the following in my
> .htaccess
> file:
> ---------------
> <Directory "/var/www/html/">
> AuthUserFile /my/dir/.htpasswd
> AuthGroupFile /dev/null
> AuthName "Private"
> AuthType Basic
> require user user1 user2
> </Directory>
> ----------------
> no effect.
> I pretty much have the same thing in my httpd.conf and that causes a
> password prompt but I want tto do this from the .htaccess file.

If it works in httpd.conf then the syntax is OK. You just need to set

<Directory "/var/www/html/">
  AllowOverride Auth
</Directory>

to allow apache to obey the directives in the .htaccess file.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> In my httpd.conf file I have 'AccessFileName .htaccess' so
> from there I
> lost.
> I am running RedHat 9.0.
>

> Thanks in advance