httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] DSL configuration
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:39:45 GMT
Please switch your mail client to plain text - I can't inline quote your post otherwise...

What do you mean by "the adminstration login is displayed"? For what - the DSL modem? If so,
your NAT is wrong.

Normally, the DSL modem is on 192.168.1.1 on the internal side and you assign your webserver
to something else (eg 192.168.1.10) or let DHCP do it for you. Then you configure the modem
to route DNS IP -> webserver internal IP. It sounds like you have DNS IP -> DSL modem
internal IP.

In any case, your problem seems to be entirely in the DSL modem configuration. Check out the
manual, help screens, manufacturer's website, google etc...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

-----Original Message-----
From: JoeGerard@isdn7.net [mailto:admin@isdn7.net]
Sent: Dienstag, 9. November 2004 06:22
To: users@httpd.apache.org; Corey Woodcox
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] DSL configuration

Hi !

Hows it going !

I already develop server scripts on a managed hosting service
http://www.isdn7.net   its a cute website that incorporates
PHP/MySQL/HTML  but I'm getting bored with dynamic content
generation and would like to play around with distributed
server/database development and maybe e-mail.

In order to do that I will need to create moduels and extensions
that my hosting service provider won't alow me to intergrate
and run on their system !

A leased web server was another option, but I'm accumlating
a bit of capatol overhead that is starting to raise my eyebrows !

Hence my own server , I can beat on it , crash it, and make all
the mistakes I want , and it won't add any cost to my current
activties !  or affect my service providers !

My DSL is 3.0mbps down stream and 512k
up stream with a static IP, its considered a business/professional
service and should have enough power to run a server/mirror/
development toy !  ect .....

I'm a programmer/developer but not to knowledageble in
system admistration.

I had Win98/Apache/PHP/MySQL up and running with dial up, however
when I switched to DSL the routing seems to be giving my trouble.

The dial up config was cake , however the connection was too
slow and the ISP boots you off the system every 8 hours causing a
IP reset every time I reconnected.

I set the DNS to my static IP that my provider assigned me, and
the NAT on my DSL moden to the IP and port specified
in the manual .  And I'm not to shure I have a clue what that means !

If I open a browser to the NAT IP Apache delivers the home page ok,
but when I try to access the page from the web using the DNS IP
the adminstration login is displayed ?

Scratching my head on this one and reading everything I can find
about it !

Any hints or tips would be appriciated !

Sincerely,

Joe

Corey Woodcox <disguised.jedi@gmail.com> wrote:
True, true...you should think about XP to run a webserver. You don't
really need anything special to set up a server except a domain and an
IP.

Just out of curiousity, what is this server for?

--
The Disguised Jedi - Corey Woodcox
disguised.jedi@gmail.com

PHP rocks!

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:36:45 +0100, Boyle Owen wrote:
> Plain text please...
>
> So you need a domain name which points to your IP address (so that
> http://your-domain-name in a browser will make an HTTP request to your
> IP address on port 80).
>
> However, you can test immediately with http://your-ip-address/
>
> NB - your ISP and ADSL router must allow incoming requests on port 80.
>
> Also, test your site locally from a browser on your server using the IP
> address as describ! ed above.
>
> Rgds,
> Owen Boyle
>
> PS - win98 is a pretty feeble OS to be running a real webserver on...
> Think about an upgrade to XP or linux.

PS - Laugh and become unhinged !

Visit The Stamp Collecting WebSite at :  http://stamps.isdn7.net

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:  IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY
OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND DELETE THE MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.