httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache help needed
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:23:09 GMT

To get apache to serve port 80, you need to be logged in as root. If you
require root to provide a further password, this implies you don't trust
root - which is a funny situation... To put it another way, even if you
implemented this, root can access any file so the root user could edit
your script to avoid requiring a password or he could edit the password
entry in the password file so this would not prevent root from starting
apache.

To answer your question, however, there is no off-the-shelf solution.
You'd need to edit apachectl.

However.... If you happen to have mod_ssl installed, and you have put a
passphrase on your certificate, then mod-ssl will prompt for it at
startup. So installing mod_ssl, even if you don't need it, will achieve
what you want as a side-effect!

> I need to also store the password as it will be used
> for encryption purposes.
>
> b) Does apache maintain numerical user ids for all the
> users present in the password file created using the
> "htpasswd" utility?

No - it just does a simple lookup of the file on each login attempt. NB
- htpasswd is intended to make password files for Basic Authentication
realms - you sound like you're talking about unix users... Don't mix
them up.

> c) I am using "htpasswd" utility to create new users
> and i store all the password + user names in a single
> file (Not using .htaccess).
>
>   I have also modified my httpd.conf to validate the
> user and have the statement "require valid-user".
>
> Now when a client creates a new account, what is the
> user name, password it has to send so that the new
> account details are added, since access is available
> only for those users present in the password file. I
> don't want to put user:anonymous, passwd: annonymous
> in the password file.

I don't understand your question. You add the username/password to the
file defined in the AuthUserFile directive, then the user types in these
when he visits the protected realm. can you try to rephrase your
question? What do you want to happen? What actually is happening? What
is "wrong"?

>   is there any good solution to this? Can i specify
> multiple authentication realms?

You can have several realms side-by-side (eg, /dir2 and /dir2) but you
can never "nest" realms (eg, if /dir1 is a realm, /dir1/dir2 cannot be
an additional realm)

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> -Thanks