httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steffen Heil" <li...@steffen-heil.de>
Subject AW: [users@httpd] Java and Apache Web Server
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2004 08:50:37 GMT
Hi

> I am a new user of Apache Web Server. I am familiar with Tomcat. The
reason that I start to use Apache Web Server is that I guess the performance
of Apache Web Server is better than Tomcat. But I am not sure if the Java
based Web applications developed over Tomcat can be migrated to Apache Web
Server or not. Could you please give me a hand?

You chose the wrong way.
Apache cannot serve servlets or jsp pages. Apache is a webserver for static
files only. With modules it can be extended to support scripts such as php,
perl, etc.
However, the only way to serve java web applications with apache is to
connect it to a tomcat instance. It cannot do it alone.

Moreover the overhead of apache and mod_jk[2] additionally slows your
application down.

Recent tomcat releases are fairly fast and are about as fast as apache even
for static files.
The only thing which is still really much better in apache is support for
proxying and scripting languages.
Apache might give you very slightly better performance for sites, which
really have huge demands for static files, such as download sites. Remeber,
this is for the gain of slowing down servlets a bit.

So, try to improve the speed of your webapp. Upgrade to a recent tomcat
(5.0.28 for example) and a recent jdk (1.5.0). Those updates (together with
a java database driver update) gave me 700% speed.

Regards,
  Steffen

Thanks so much!

Bing Li