httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Emyr Tomos" <Emyr.To...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] escaped input mod_rewrite
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:34:40 GMT
Surely if you are after search-engine friendly urls the easiest way is
to do it the other way 'round - have a bunch of "friendly" urls, and
either re-write them to a script which will take the PATH_INFO and
interpret it into your database friendly strings or, easier still,
simply put a script at the root of your site which takes in PATH_INFO
e.g each url is of the form
http://server/script/cakes/wedding/3tiered.html and /script gets
/cakes/wedding/3tier.html from which it extracts cakes, wedding, 3tier
and turns it into a database-friendly url. Where does the randomness
come in? Surely the whole point is that you want specific database
identifiers to be replaced by more generally understood terms like
cakes, cars, golf clubs.
Am I missing the point?

-----Original Message-----
From: Vadim N. Lyalikov [mailto:vadim-lyalikov@yandex.ru]
Sent: 02 November 2004 20:25
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] escaped input mod_rewrite

Hi, Joshua :c) et all.

 >>1) generate random string (each symbol can have *any* value - from 0
to 255)
 >>3) create valid (rfc) http url, like
>>http://host.com/path/word/my_escaped_random_string/index.html (my_url)
>>...  >>6)redirect to url like:
 >>    http://host.com/path/word.php?word_id=my_escaped_random_string
 >>
 >I don't understand the point of this whole thing, but you really can't
>expect it to work.  >Joshua.

The point of this whole thing is Search_Engine_Friendly URLs. You may
read http://www.sitepoint.com/article/search-engine-friendly-urls
In nutshell: to provide good indexing by spiders
    we move each val=var pair *from* query string to path. And if
possible, replace val (often - a number) with it human readable
corresponding value (often - name) , e.g. from database.
As i understood, this is impossible in coommon case: with arbitrary
strings. Thanks for patience. Vadim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ - World Wide Wonderland

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.