httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Emyr Tomos" <Emyr.To...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Web Site
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:12:57 GMT
Ok I'm a little curious about something - two IP addresses?
Surely the only way a single machine can have more than one IP address
is to have two separate network interfaces - like two ethernet cards?
Even if you could set one interface to answer to two different IP
addresses, surely there would be only one port 80 between them?
Sorry again for going off topic - this piqued my curiosity as it's a
little lower-level than I normally go and goes against my (slight)
understanding

em

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Campbell [mailto:PCampbell@ourvacationstore.com]
Sent: 03 November 2004 19:07
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Cc: 'HLeach@cc.ucsf.edu'
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Web Site

Henry,

We answered this yesterday in depth...

You can't run 2 different web server softwares on the same port on the
same IP.

You have to either run them on different ports, different IP addresses,
or with 1 IP and 1 port, use name based virtual hosts on Apache and
ReverseProxy the IIS website.

Patrick Campbell
OurVacationStore.com
Website Administrator