httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mattison, Jacob" <JMatti...@uarts.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Clicking a link versus typing an address
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:33:04 GMT
I have spoken to two users of our system who have had the following experience:

They tried to get to our page by clicking a link from another page.  They received a blank
screen that sat for a long time and eventually timed out.  However, if they try to get to
our page by typing in the address (the same address that was in the link) it works fine.

Any suggestions as to how this could happen?  Is there any difference at all between an http
request made by clicking a link and a request made by typing an address, assuming the addresses
are the same (other than the Referer: header, of course)?

One difference that could be the problem: the link is to "http://portal.server.edu/", while
the user was typing "http://portal.server.edu".  That is, the user did not type the trailing
slash.  The file that should be served in either case is "http://portal.server.edu/index.htm".
 This happens properly when I test, and for the vast majority of our users.  I've heard of
problems that occur when the trailing slash is left out, but not when it's present, as in
this case (except with the "alias" directive.  Which I'm not using).  Plus the error is very
rare -- two users I'm aware of out of thousands.  Both are on Macs, if it makes a difference.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!

Jacob Mattison
Web Developer