httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Phil Hutchinson" <ph...@asptech.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Starting httpd: httpd: bad user name apache [FAILED]
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:57:12 GMT
Greetings,

Following a fresh install of...

httpd-2.0.52-3.i386.rpm
httpd-manual-2.0.52-3.i386.rpm
httpd-suexec-2.0.52-3.i386.rpm

as part of fresh install of Fedora3

I find that I am unable to start the server.  The message that pops up in
the Service Configuration dialog and that is left in the Boot Log is:

     httpd failed.  The error was:  Stopping httpd: [FAILED]
     Starting httpd:  httpd: bad user name apache [FAILED]

Also in the System Log I see associated messages reading:

     Nov 21 14:11:23 monorail kernel:  audit(1101071483.955.0): avc: denied
{ read } for pid=4217 exe=/usr/sbin/httpd name=passwd dev=dm-0 ino=3899473
scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t tcontext=root:object_r:tmp_t tclass=file

... which appears just ahead of a "bad user name apache" entry.

I've substituted root (and other users and groups) in the
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file and get similar results, namely bad user
name.

Any ideas as to why this error occurs??

Phil Hutchinson