httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matthew England <mengl...@mengland.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Qs: server maintenance, URL redirection, etc
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:43:38 GMT
At 11/15/2004 08:25 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:
>Like most directives, ErrorDocument can be scoped in <Directory>,
><Location>, etc, to limit its applicability to particular areas.

Oh, didn't know that...that's quite useful.  I supposed I could have looked
at this in the Core docs if I was paying attention...sorry, hopefully I'll
do a better RTFM in the future.

>But your problem might just as well be served with a
>Redirect temp /forums
>http://yourserver.example.com/forums-temporarily-gone.html

Actually, this simple Redirect does not appear to handle links saved
outside of the forums ( typically as references to specific forum threads
in emails, like https://example.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4 )...I
think.  However, using ErrorDocument in the a Location context will
probably do the trick, as mentioned above.

>As far as giving yourself access, you can setup an Alias pointing at
>the same area with a different URL that wouldn't be hit by the
>Redirect.

Makes sense.

> > 2) I am hoping theres a general FAQ/RTFM site/page that points out
> > strategies for gracefully managing Apache server/app downtime in
> > general.  [...]
>
>Well, there are so many different variations on how to do this that it
>would be impossible to have a simple guide.

Any pointers to some examples?  Best practices?  I would hope that there
holds *some* commonality to doing this across all the webservers in the
world...at least in some scenarios.  I'm hoping not to have to reinvent the
learning wheel and read about commonly-solved requirements/problems and
their associated solutions, much like how the "recipies" are presented in
http://apache-cookbook.com/ .

Alas, it looks like I'll just teach myself.  The above things are great
suggestions!

>It is certainly possible to have the server accessible under different
>ports by adjusting the Listen (and possible VirtualHost and
>ServerName) directive.

Yeah, I've been using this.  However, sometimes I need to bring the server
down altogether.  To this end I'm hoping I can run separate httpd server
instances on different ports for testing...I'm just hoping I can duplicate
the production environment well enough such that I can port back-end
scripts (like php) and databases (like mysql) well enough such that an
https://example.com:444/forums will work as well as
https://example.com/forums ...such that I won't have to change underlying
server structure when I "go live" by moving changes from test to production
server...or at least minimize and encapsulate these things.  Some of these
things are application-depedent, so I may have to bear with it...

...but any tips of the trade from the experienced experts would be quite
helpful!  (I like standing on the shoulders of giants. :)

Regards,
-Matt