httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric ...@kwinternet.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Scaling Apache
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:10:09 GMT
Hi,

I think that is not really considering OS caching, or how fast his
connection is. And I don't realy understand what this means, "so it will
realy help you only if you are having very much dynamic content."

Anyway, if he is using an NFS mount over a fiber connection, I bet it is
VERY fast. What we do is to rsync content between servers, but we don't
have a SAN.. It may be that he has to store a VERY large amount of data.
Then his method of using a SAN is certainly smarter than using local disks
if that is the case. It is also probably smarter for other reasons too,
like being able to grow his storage space easily as needed and everything
else that is good about having a SAN. Anyway, he certainly could put a
couple of proxies in front of his servers if network latency becomes a big
problem.

Thanks,

Eric

At 08:59 AM 11/4/2004, you wrote:
>are you sure that you will get any big advantage from using
>load-balancing. as i understood you, apache has to get the requested file
>over the lan from one single server, your master, so it will realy help
>you only if you are having very much dynamic content. in order to realy
>scale the load over the servers, every fe would have to have a complete
>copy of the websites and automatically replicate the data.
>
>Hi,
>
>Im looking for some expertise regarding an Apache setup.
>I have the following in mind:
>
>               LoadBalancer
>      /   |   \ \
>      FE  FE  FE ...
>       \  |  /
>  Master
>                     SAN
>
>The FEs are the Apache frontends which handle the http requests. All the
>different websites data is stored on the SAN, which only has the master
>server connected trough GFS (or any other Filesystem). The FEs have
>access to the data trough an NFS mount.
>
>Is this an ideal setup, how can I make this better? What are the things
>I should keep in mind (pitfalls etc.)?
>Im asking here since I cant seem to find info regarding using Apache
>with a SAN and Im looking for a way to scale Apache (and share the
>load). The FEs are easy to pull out and replace or FEs can be added.
>
>Jan

Lead Programmer
D.M. Contact Management
250.383.8267 ext 229