httpd-users mailing list archives

From "MW Mike Weiner \(5028\)" <MWei...@ag.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Scaling Apache
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:04:07 GMT
-----Original Message-----
From: Jan van den Berg [mailto:janvdberg@solcon.nl]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 11:35 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [users@httpd] Scaling Apache

Hi,

Im looking for some expertise regarding an Apache setup.
I have the following in mind:

           	    LoadBalancer
		      /   |   \	 \
		      FE  FE  FE ...
		       \  |  /
			  Master

                     SAN

The FEs are the Apache frontends which handle the http requests. All the
different websites data is stored on the SAN, which only has the master
server connected trough GFS (or any other Filesystem). The FEs have
access to the data trough an NFS mount.

Is this an ideal setup, how can I make this better? What are the things
I should keep in mind (pitfalls etc.)?
Im asking here since I cant seem to find info regarding using Apache
with a SAN and Im looking for a way to scale Apache (and share the
load). The FEs are easy to pull out and replace or FEs can be added.
---

Not much different than my current 650 webs behind a bigip load balancer
MUCH the same design as you have ilustrated above. In fact I run what we
call a loadbalancing-sandwich, where I have subdivided the network into
vlans such that I can segregate the the web traffic from the db traffic
from the image serving traffic, etc. So it looks more like:

                  LoadBalancer
		      /   |   \	 \
		      FE  FE  FE ...
		      /   |   \	 \
                  LoadBalancer
		       \  |  /
			   Db

                     SAN

The only thing I would caution you of is to ensure you have redundancy
all the way thru the chain (i.e. 2 load balancers, etc). If you have any
other questions or concerns and would like to take this OFF LIST please
feel free to email me at mweiner@ag.com

HTH
Michael Weiner