httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE : httpd processes and ram
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:32:51 GMT
Did you say you were using Apache 1.3.29 ?

Otherwise you should definitively upgrade to at least 1.3.29.

-ascs

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Scott Horowitz [mailto:scott@theskyiscrape.com]
Envoyé : lundi 1 novembre 2004 03:56
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : [users@httpd] httpd processes and ram

Okay, I've been slowly pinpointing the problem on my web server (Apache
1.3.9, RedHat 7.3, 1GB of ram). When I first load Apache and all the
users start browsing the website/board, the total ram usage goes to
300+mb. Each httpd process shows about 3-4mb and there tend to be 80-100
httpd processes at any time, according to top. Things seem fine.

However, as time passes, the httpd processes begin to use more and more
ram. After only a few hours, if that, many of the httpd processes show
up as 12+mb each. Is there any reason that they slowly eat away at the
ram? With a constant number of users browsing the website, the ram usage
by apache continuously increases for whatever reason until the server
starts using swap and then the server crashes.

Is it normal for httpd processes to use more ram over time? Even if I do
a "apachectl restart", the memory doesn't decrease very much (it only
goes back down to 700+mb). My only solution is to do a complete server
reboot.

Thanks for any help.

Scott