httpd-users mailing list archives

From Axel-Stéphane SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORG...@europe.adp.com>
Subject [users@httpd] RE : Apache/mod_ssl/IE problem
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:26:07 GMT
Just a shot in the dark.

Try to add this to your configuration if you haven't already. Make sure you have mod_setenvif
loaded.

   BrowserMatch "MSIE" nokeepalive downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

-ascs

-----Message d'origine-----
De : d.j.potts@bcs.org.uk [mailto:d.j.potts@bcs.org.uk]
Envoyé : lundi 1 novembre 2004 17:57
À : users@httpd.apache.org
Objet : [users@httpd] Apache/mod_ssl/IE problem

Hello,

We have a problem with apache with the following symptoms

- the number of apache processes hits MaxClients
- the CPU on the box isn't doing much when we hit the max number of apache processes
- sometimes apache recovers after about 5 minutes and we reduce to a more typical number of
processes
- other times apache has totally locked up an required a restart

We see no pattern as to when this is occuring. It has occurred during quiet periods and during
periods of heavy load.

We have upped the MaxClients to 256, but we hit that level too.

All our users connect over SSL.

We have seen the following articles on the Microsoft site that makes us think that this could
because of broken version of IE in our user community. However, we don't know from the articles
the exact combination of OS and IE that would cause the problems and therefore haven't been
able to recreate in a test environment.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-004.mspx

We also get the following error in the SSL error log:

[Tue Oct 26 06:43:04 2004] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake interrupted by system
[Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!] (System error follows) [Tue Oct 26 06:43:04 2004]
[error] System: Connection timed out (errno: 145)

We see this quite a lot during normal operation. However, during the periods were we hit the
MaxClient processes, we see the number of these errors increase by an order of magnitude.

Has anyone else seen similar problems and if so, what was their solution? If this is the problem
described on the MS site, what version of Windows and IE do we need to recreate? Are there
any server side only solutions?

We are running on Solaris with apache 1.2.26 and mod_ssl 2.8.10 using a Sun Crypto 1 SSL accelerator
card.

Any help greatly apprecicated.

Cheers,

Dave.