httpd-users mailing list archives

From Götz Lohmann <go...@mrblackrose.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Image Download Blocking
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:18:10 GMT
David Mandelberg schrieb:

>Cristian Bichis wrote:
>

>>Hello!
>>
>>You could also use Flash with dynamic image loading (not by including the
>>image directly in SWF)... I think this is the best method. Only using some
>>revers engineering tools (as Sothink SWF Decompiler) is possible to see
>>where are the images... And of course, you can use more advanced method...
>>
>>In Flash also you can use some watermark like technique... To protect
>>against PrintScreen...
>>
>>Cristian
>>

>No offense, but I think that's the worst idea, flash is much slower than
>png or jpeg, not as ubiquitous, and a closed standard.

with the libswf or Ming Library (LGPL) it is quite easy to use swf ..
and yes .. it is a closed standard but 99,99% of all webbrowsers like IE
(win & mac), Mozilla( win, mac & linux), Opera, Konqueror etc. are doing
it fine with a very common plugin .. the only one who can't are things
like lynx .. but lynx couldn't images either, so this is no problem.

a flash file isn't such big .. so why shoul it be slow .. the flash
overhead is minimal and you can also use funcionality like a progress
bar if you have huge pictures. The other point is that you could use
actionscript in Flash wich tell the server to clear the downloaded
temporary image once it is full loaded so nobody coul even get the image
even if you try to reverse engeneere cause the time your crack it the
link is dropped cause I haven't seen Sothink works in realtime on
downloaded flash .. and if a company is try using such way to protect
the images, these images are mostly a bit bigger and better than a
100x100 pixel Logo .. so the download size (and speed) differs not much
to the overall display time (yes I know the starting time for the plugin) ..

so afterall I think the use of SWF with PHP is one of the better ideas