httpd-users mailing list archives

From Peter Johnson <pe...@wizardslair.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mysql in apache
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:35:21 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Curtis,<br>
It really depends on where the database is going to reside, if they
have already setup a database server then you probably just need
php4-mysql and mysql-common with the correct connection string to the
existing database. <br>
If you're expected to setup and run the MySQL DB then you'll also need
mysql-server on the server and mysql-client (&amp;&amp; mysql-common)
on the client machine that you plan to use to administer. Depending on
your access I would suggest that you use mysqlcc if possible as it
makes things a little easier. <br>
Be aware though that admining a DB adds considerable admin overhead.
Often a db is deployed when other solutions might be more appropriate
e.g. XML files or pure text files ... it all depends on what is
required and what the future plans are.<br>
If you need to create the database then they'll need to provide you
with two things:<br>
1. the database schema (database, tables, index creation)<br>
2. starting data<br>
These you'll need to execute against the database as well as possibly
creating the db username and password.<br>
PJ<br>
Aaron Crosman wrote:
 cite="midB91F108ADD81414AB2C9CB7449D3CEC7280D5E@DELTA.AFSC.local"
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">BTW, it would seem that I have to install at least:
php4-mysql and mysql-common, but that then I will have to
create a mysql database. Is that right?
However, they just sent me a bunch of files for web pages. I
see data arrays in certain .php files. But it would seem that
such information would have to also exist in a mysql
database. So, if I'm not mistaken, they still have yet to
provide me with the database files?

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
You will need php, the php connectors for MySQL (the above noted
php4-mysql), I believe you do need mysql-common, server AND client (but
I may be corrected here shortly) as you'll need to use the client to
connect to the server to create the database (at least during setup).

They will need to provide you with a SQL file to create the database
from (or you'll have to learn to do it by hand).  Depending on the OS
you're using this can either be quite simple (most Linux distros with
RPM's can do with this with little need for intervention from you), or
more involved (if you need to rebuild php, and/or build mysql).  In my
experience even with a helpful OS it takes a little while to get it
right the first time.

Many people recommend getting phpmyadmin setup to help administer the
mysql database(s) through a web interface.  I don't use it on my public
server, but I'm probably overly cautious about that, and I'm perfectly
happy to work directly in the SQL when I need to.

Good luck
Aaron

  </pre>