httpd-users mailing list archives

From Laura Vance <van...@winfreeacademy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HELP! PLEASE!
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:24:46 GMT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "Loading" screen have to be
loaded from the server to even run?  Or, a better way to ask the
question is, doesn't the loader have to be transmitted from the server
before it can start loading its data?  This may not be making any sense,
so I'll do a scenario.

My understanding of flash is this:

1. browser contacts server to request file (in this case, flash application)
2. server sends flash app (loader) back to browser
3. flash app runs then connects back to the server to retrieve the data
(fancy "loading" screen is displayed)
4. server replies by sending data that the flash loader requested.
5. flash animation plays and everyone is happy.

It sounds like yours is breaking down somewhere in step 3.  If this is
true, then your problem is how your flash loader app connects to the
server to retrieve the actual data/classes.

Might there be a firewall on your laptop that is not on the server?
Might the flash loader be trying to connect to an IP address and your
laptop doesn't understand since it's on the same machine?

If apache never served the loader to your browser, wouldn't it just show
a blank space where the flash was supposed to go?

Again, I've never programmed flash myself, but this is my understanding
of the flash "handshake" to get an app loaded.

--
Thanks,
Laura Vance