httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [users@httpd] Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] RE: [users@httpd] escaped input mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:43:26 GMT
[plain text, please...]

Vadim N. Lyalikov wrote:
> I'll be glad to do smth like base-64, but these url would not be human
> friendly.
> And may be nor search engine friendly. I think that keywords (cake names
> ...)
> give some points, when searched by spider.

As pointed out, you will not be able to use arbitrary URIs. Even if some
clients and Apache would deal with it, most of the search engines you care
about will choke on them.

My suggest is to process the name (the key) first. Eg. Make it all lower
case, replace white space with "_", other separators with "-", replace
certain characters (oumlats etc), and a few other special cases. Then,
finally remove any invalid characters.

This should be done before inserting it in the database, where it must be
unique, and then used when creating links.

Regards,
Robert Andersson