httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Reid, Cherie" <Cherie.R...@workcover.nsw.gov.au>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Using the AuthenNTLM module with an Apache 1.3 / Unix environment
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:47:19 GMT
Hi

Thankyou so much for your response! I am only new to apache and am already finding alot of
usersgroups with people, like yourself, willing to help out.

Regards,

Cherie

-----Original Message-----
From: Shannon Eric Peevey [mailto:speeves@unt.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 12:38 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Using the AuthenNTLM module with an Apache
1.3 / Unix environment

Reid, Cherie wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am running Apache 1.3 on a Unix server with an AIX v5.2 os. It is
> working with a Windows client.
>
> I am involved in a project implementing a Cognos Business Intelligence
> solution via the web. When a request is made by an intranet user to use
> the cognos web portal, cognos verifies the user via the REMOTE_USER CGI
> variable thus allowing a single signon solution. The REMOTE_USER
> variable needs to have been passed the value of the windows environment
> variable USERNAME. But with the way Apache unix has access
> authentication set up I need to prompt the user for the username to set
> REMOTE_USER, which is then authenticated against a pasword file
> maintained inside Apache. Problem is that I dont want to prompt the user
> and I want to authenticate users against a Cognos namespace not an
> Apache passowrd file.
>
> So, I have decided to install the AuthenNTLM module to mimic the NT
> challenge response protocol and initialise the REMOTE_USER variable. My
> question is, [yes, I did have a question after all this!! :) ] Will this
> variable keep it's value for the length of the browser session after the
> AuthenNTLM has completed its authentication process? As stated before I
> need it for Cognos to use it.
>
> Also, does this solution sound ok??

AuthenNTLM will cache the connection for the session, but you will
probably have to override some methods in the script to get it to set
REMOTE_USER.  (Specifically, map_user() ).  Gerald has written a great
example to help you figure out how to override methods in AuthenNTLM in
the documentation of the module.  Simply set REMOTE_USER in the newly
modified map_user() method, and voila!

take care,

--
Shannon Eric Peevey                     =>  "speeves"
Dyno-Mite! System Administrator         =>  speeves@unt.edu

This message, including any attached files, is intended solely for the addressee named and
may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.
Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the views of WorkCover
NSW.