httpd-users mailing list archives

From John Burge <webgineer...@techemail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] where are html files stored
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:02:24 GMT
Ben:

  Put it where the index.html you are looking at is.

  This is where DocumentRoot is specified in your httpd.conf.

  You can find http.conf by using the Windows "Search" item in the menu you get by clicking
on the "Start" icon. Just type httpd.conf as the file name into the Files and Folders option
of "Search".

  You will find httpd.conf is in a folder called "conf". "conf" is in a folder called "Apache",
so that httpd.conf is in a folder called "Apache\conf". You will find the index.html in a
parallel folder called "Apache\htdocs".

  Before making your own index.html, why don't you open "Apache\htdocs\index.html" in Notepad
(NB: My favorite is not Notepad, but EditPlus -- google to find it and download it) and insert
"THIS IS MY INDEX.HTML" right after the <p> in

so it looks like

Save the file, and reload the page in your browser (eg. http://127.0.0.1, or http://localhost);
the :80 is overkill at this point.

Make sure you see the words THIS IS MY INDEX.HTML. That will guarantee that you have found
it.

Good luck! You're at the beginning of a great adventure!

--John
HINT #1: On my computer, the index.html file is at

   C:\\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\htdocs\index.html

and I bet it is on yours too.

HINT #2: Rename the index.html file as index.html.save, and then create a little index.html
with just the words "This is my new index.html" in it. Once you see them in your browser,
proceed to put in the HTML code you want to try out. Proceed one tiny step at a time, and
always test before moving on to the next step. You will gradually build your web page and
will not go crazy trying to figure out what on earth went wrong!

HINT #3: Use Firefox (google to download) as your browser (not Internet Explorer). Custom
install the developer tools. Then select "File > Page Source" whether your page looks right
or wrong. You will get a lot of information, and it is the fastest way to learn.