httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. A. Viehweg" <apac...@myofb.ahhgo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] totally reject from hostless requests
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:02:44 GMT
I have not been successful in finding out how to do what I want to
do.  It seems that "apache", "ip address", and "reject" or "block"
are very common in Google!  :/

Anyway, I run a system that has Apache 1.3.27-3.7.2 running with a bunch
of virtual hosts.  In httpd.conf, the default host (first one) is for
"my" web site, with the rest following.

It seems that most "attacks" (mostly overflow attempts) on my server come
in on the IP Address only, no www.whatever.com, and these get logged in
"my" server's log files.  This is good because it keeps the crud out of
the "customers" files.  This is bad because it annoys me.

Finally, my question:

Is there some clean, easy, elegant way to block any and all requests
into the server that do not contain a valid host/domain there, but are
using an IP Address only.  Anything coming in with an IP Address only
will not only be rejected, but not logged.

I have tried a number of things, but I have not yet found a way to
identify IP Address only requests, so my playing has been unsuccessful.

I suspect this is not something that can be done, but one can hope!
Switching to 2.+ is an option, if need be.  I'm planning on doing that
in the next couple of months anyway.

Thanks in advance.

jaime