httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Clicking a link versus typing an address
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:20:25 GMT
* Mattison, Jacob <JMattison@uarts.edu> [1133 15:33]:
> I have spoken to two users of our system who have had the following experience:
>
> They tried to get to our page by clicking a link from another page.  They received a
blank screen that sat for a long time and eventually timed out.  However, if they try to get
to our page by typing in the address (the same address that was in the link) it works fine.

It can't be the same link.

> One difference that could be the problem: the link is to "http://portal.server.edu/",
while the user was typing "http://portal.server.edu".

Right, that's a difference. The server uses ServerName and UseCanonicalName to redirect you,
one of those directives is wrong.
(Have a look in your server logs, you should see the initial request).
Can't remember the details but I remember it being a pig to debug, and only went away when
we fixed our DNS.
Since then we don't start apache without DNS being setup :)

--
Oh, wait you're serious. Let me laugh even harder. - Bender