httpd-users mailing list archives

From Milan Andric <mand...@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache eventually stops responding?
Date Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:30:37 GMT
On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:31:22AM -0500, Scott Horowitz wrote:
> Okay, the server once again crawled to a halt and I managed to get the
> server-status output (even though it took ~10 minutes to reply to my ssh
> command).
>
>    Current Time: Friday, 29-Oct-2004 10:09:10 CDT
>    Restart Time: Friday, 29-Oct-2004 01:56:59 CDT
>    Parent Server Generation: 0
>    Server uptime: 8 hours 12 minutes 11 seconds
>    Total accesses: 156028 - Total Traffic: 2.1 GB
>    CPU Usage: u619.92 s73.75 cu0 cs0 - 2.35% CPU load
>    5.28 requests/sec - 73.9 kB/second - 14.0 kB/request
>    234 requests currently being processed, 16 idle servers
> WWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLWW_WWWWWRWWWWRWWWWWWWLWWWRWW_RWRWW
> WWWWWWWWWR__WL_WWWWWWLWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLWLWWWRW
> WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLWWWLWWWLWWWWWWWWLWWWWWW_WWWW_WWWW_W_WWWWWWWWW
> WWW_WWWWWWWWW_WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW_WWW___W......
>
> I assume there is something wrong that there are so many processes "stuck"
> in sending reply, correct? What could be the possible reasons for this..
> Config settings, hardware..?

It's very odd to see so many requests being written to at the same time.
usually a request comes in and the write process completes pretty
quickly.  i usually see this kind of symptom if my NFS server is
hanging.  it could likely be a problem outside of apache. have you looked
into that? also, it's not very likely that you're server is getting this
many requests *all at the same time* unless you're getting slashdotted.
look at /var/log/messages or other system logs.

This looks like a site that is either getting slashdotted, a resource is
causing apache's processes/threads to hang, or a VERY busy site. 10000
hits a day is not VERY busy so i'd look into the other other two
possibilities.

--
Milan