httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web Site
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 07:46:05 GMT
* Patrick Donker <list-account@webpagina.nu> [1142 19:42]:
> Tim Burden wrote:
>
> >The point, I hope, is that if he is using two different IPs he can run both
> >servers on port 80, provided each server listens only to its own assigned
> >IP. With apache you do this with the Listen directive, who knows how you do
> >it with IIS but it can be done.
> >

> Isnt it so that Apache starts to moan that another app is already
> listening to 80 if you start it? I remember trying to install Novell
> eDirectory on the same machine as where I had my Apache running. After
> the install Apache refused to start up.

No offence, but you seem confused (phone analogy earlier had the same error).

It's the IP *and* port number that's unique, not just the port number.

Might help if you drop the telephone number idea and think of it as each
IP address being a hotel and the port number  being a room number.

--
You were doing well until everyone died - God