httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dick Davies <rasput...@hellooperator.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Ports
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 07:06:55 GMT
* Warron French <wfrench@xtria.com> [1109 23:09]:
> Hmmm, OK.  Thanks for the clarification.  So that just means the /etc/services file merely
associates a name with a port number.  But only from the side that has the /etc/services file
configured with that name to that port.  But it doesn't change the function even if the browser
is on the client.

Yeah, the point is really that only one processs can be on a given IP/port number combination,
so you need
to pick either IIS or Apache and setup some way for that webserver to send certain URLs off
to the other
server.

With Apache you could use name-based virtualhosts and then mod_proxy to send all requests
for the second
host to IIS.

--
Aww, you know what always cheers me up? Laughing at other people's misfortunes. - Bender