httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Curtis" <rich...@crosswired.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Logging problems when file quotas in use
Date Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:49:45 GMT
Hi all,
  I have a server with a few virtual hosts.  Each host has its own log files
which are in /home/vhost_name/logs.

I need to enable quotas on the /home filesystem so each vhost only has a
limit of 100MB of storage in /home/vhost_name.

I am worried however that if a user is at their quota, as apache is trying
to log to their home directorty, will it fail because of the quotas ?  If
so, will this completely break apache for the other vhosts ?

If this is the case, canapache be told not ot die if it cant log a specific
vhost (ie, just dont log the hits).

How should I deal with this.
One option I though of was to put all the logs in /var/log/httpd/vhost/logs
and logrotate them in there.  Then provide a symlink from /home/vhost/logs
to /var/log/httpd/vhost/logs.

This would enable access to the logs from the users home dir (via ftp for
example) and would also prevent apache dying when they hit their quota as
the files are on a non-quota'd file system.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Richard