httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ralf Glauberman" <rglauber...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Scaling Apache
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:59:23 GMT
are you sure that you will get any big advantage from using load-balancing.
as i understood you, apache has to get the requested file over the lan from
one single server, your master, so it will realy help you only if you are
having very much dynamic content. in order to realy scale the load over the
servers, every fe would have to have a complete copy of the websites and
automatically replicate the data.

Hi,

Im looking for some expertise regarding an Apache setup.
I have the following in mind:

               LoadBalancer
      /   |   \ \
      FE  FE  FE ...
       \  |  /
  Master

                     SAN

The FEs are the Apache frontends which handle the http requests. All the
different websites data is stored on the SAN, which only has the master
server connected trough GFS (or any other Filesystem). The FEs have
access to the data trough an NFS mount.

Is this an ideal setup, how can I make this better? What are the things
I should keep in mind (pitfalls etc.)?
Im asking here since I cant seem to find info regarding using Apache
with a SAN and Im looking for a way to scale Apache (and share the
load). The FEs are easy to pull out and replace or FEs can be added.

Jan