httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Mass Virtual hosting and mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:54:09 GMT
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:26:27 -0400 (EDT), Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > 1. Write your own logfile splitter based on on split-logs, but with
> > exceptions for the domains that need to be grouped together.
>
> I have already modified split-logs to do the right thing. The problem
> is with logrotate and using symlinks in the vhost docroot. I need
> to get rid of the symlinks, as best as I can tell.

Sounds like a problem in logrotate.  Log rotation is not that hard a
problem.  I suggest you modify your log rotation scripts to adapt to
your configuration rather than the other way around.

> > 2. Canonicalize the URLs (that is, redirect people who come in on
> > alternative domain names to the "one true domain name).  This can be
> > done using some relatively simple mod_rewrite rules either in
> > httpd.conf or in an .htaccess file in your vhost docroot, or you can
> > add <VirtualHost> sections with Redirect directives for these specific
> > exceptions to httpd.conf.
>
> Will using <VirtualHost> sections still work with mod_vhost_alias enabled?
> For that matter will any of the above suggestions work with mod_vhost_alias
> enabled?
>
> The docs for mod_vhost_alias say that all hosts must be configured the
> same but I have not actually tried any of this.

Yes, you can combine mod_vhost_alias with regular name-based
virtual-hosting.  Simply put your vhost_alias directives in the
default (first listed) <VirtualHost> section and it will take care of
any requests not covered by other specific <VirtualHost>s.

Joshua.