httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] POP-before-HTTP: dealing with image leaching
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 20:35:31 GMT
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:47:57 -0700, Kenneth Porter
<shiva@sewingwitch.com> wrote:
> You've all seen the problem of image leaching: You put up a nice image (or
> sound, or video) and some other site starts using it without permission.
> You could block it by looking at the referrer, but many now browse with
> referrers disabled for privacy.

Yes, so you just let through any browser that doesn't send a referer.
You need only block browsers that send an unexpected referer.

This works because it doesn't matter if the occasional browser gets
through.  All you need to do is convince the owner of the leaching
page that his page will be broken for the majority of users.  Since
the majority of users send referer (and the leaching page owner has no
control over that), he will quickly learn his lesson.

Your other technique sounds like way overkill to me.

Joshua.