httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Namebased vhost with ssl on one of the hosts
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:07:39 GMT
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:51:13 +0800, Wang Penghui <wangpenghui@realss.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have a apache installation with name-based virutal hosts. It has many
> virtual hosts. Now i want to add ssl to one of them.
> For example:
> I have three hosts in this server.
> aaa.example.com
> bbb.example.com
> ccc.example.com
> Now i want to add ssl to aaa.example.com, and bbb ,ccc continue listen
> on port 80.
>
> Is it POSSIBLE? And how could i implement it?

You can setup an ordinary IP/port based virtual host on port 443 and enable SSL.

But this virtual host will respond to all the hostnames that are
mapped to that IP address.  The bbb and ccc name will get
bad-certificate errors if you use a certificate for aaa.

There is no way to have only aaa listen on port 80, since the hostname
is not known until after the SSL negotiation.

Joshua.