httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using Apache as part of a hosting solution ?
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:12:44 GMT
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:54:30 -0600, Michael Gale
<michael.gale@utilitran.com> wrote:

> We want to use Apache for the web server portion. My question is, is
> there a maximum number of Virtual Host that apache can handle ? or would
> that be a server limitation ??

No, there is no limit.

Each additional virtual host may slow down apache very slightly
(especially during startup and restart), but you usually run into
traffic limits long before virtual host limits.

> Then under that configuration we would add in X number of Virtual host
> until we have reached a predetermined limit or a found threshold.

One disadvantage of your setup is that, by having a large number of
virtual hosts sharing the same set of servers, you increase the
possibility for one messed-up host to take down a large number of
other hosts.  (Messed up could mean bad scripts, security problems,
very high load (slashdot effect), etc.)

Joshua.