httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem in setting content negotiation
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:42:14 GMT
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:43:19 +0530, Amit Mehrotra
<u2000108pucsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>           I'm trying to use content-negotiation feature provided by Apache.
> What i want is if a browser request for a file say test.html then i
> want to send gzipped (.gz) file to browser if this encoding is
> supported else send him the normal test.html.html file.
>
> For that i made following changes in httpd.conf file
> AddType application/x-gzip .gz

You don't want the AddType.  The file is of type text/html with encoding x-gzip.

> AddEncoding x-gzip gz
>
> And enabled the multiview for the diectory where i have these files
> (test.htl.gz & test.html.html) by using
>
> Options MultivViews
> AllowOverride None
>
> But still when i try to access file test.html from browser (IE 6.0) it
> says "page not found". Could you help me on that.

If you got a 404 error, that means the MultiViews is not working.
Check that you are putting the correct configuration directives in the
correct part of the config file and that you have restarted the server
after making the config changes.

Joshua