httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache2/suexec question
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:27:25 GMT
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:35:07 -0400 (EDT), Joe Smith
<blackice@mail.sis.pitt.edu> wrote:
>  Hello. As a very new user of apache I am attempting to configure
> suexec the execute as the file owner various CGI scripts. However
> I seem to be encountering a configuation problem with suexec; the
> error that is logged for a test script appears as follows
>
> [Wed Oct 06 11:07:51 2004] [error] [client 136.142.116.9] (13)Permission denied: file
permissions deny server ac
> cess: /home/joeuser/public_html/cgi-bin/printenv.cgi
>
> The file itself is protected 711, and my wish is to have it processed
> by suexec using the users login UID, as opposed to merely displayed
> as occurs when the file permissions are set to 755.
>
> Any assistance would be very appreciated.

It sounds like you have a bunch of problems.

First, if you get the source code of the cgi script diplayed when you
set permissions to 755, that means you haven't properly configured
apache to process cgi scripts in user directories.  See
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/cgi.html
(and in particular, the "User directories" section).

Joshua.