httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jsl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] A couple of tuning questions
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:31:35 GMT
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:15:09 -0500, Randy Paries
<randy.paries@unitnet.com> wrote:

> I am getting conflicting suggestions on MaxClients on the RH pages it says::
> "However, it is not recommended that the value for MaxClients exceeds 256
> when using the prefork MPM. "

That's not very good advice.

> BUT on other pages is says that on busy sites i should have MaxClients  512
> and ServerLimit set to 1024 Not sure if my server is considered busy. I am
> tending to think yes.

If apache is the only thing running on the box, then you should set
MaxClients to the highest number that the system can handle in
physical memory.  You need to be sure to restrict MaxClients to
prevent apache from ever using so much memory that the system starts
to swap, since your performance will get killed.

If you are running other services on the box, then you obviously need
to set MaxClients to a lower number to allow those other services to
have resources.

Joshua.