httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paras Mehta <paras.b.me...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] HTML Form POST - no response if textarea content is too long
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:38:22 GMT
Hello,

  I recently paid for a linux hosting service that runs Apache 1.3.32.
 As part of the site I am running, there is a posting form, with a
textarea.  When I post in this form from most hosts, I run into no
problems.

  However, at school, over the wireless connection, posting runs into
some problems.  If the textarea part of the post is too long (longer
than about 660 characters), the post process simply hangs.  The
browser gets not response.  What is unique about my wireless
connection at school, is that there are port restrictions placed on
the connection for security.  I can only use the following ports:

http    80      tcp
https   443     tcp
pop3s   995     tcp/udp
imaps   993     tcp/udp
ssh   22

  The reason I am coming to you is that I have tried other servers
running Apache, and I do not experience the same problems.  I have
placed the identical form on a different server (one running Apache
1.3.31) and it works without isse.

  This situation indicates two things to me.  One is that, possibly,
when the posting message is longer than a given length, a different
port is being used to send the data.  Secondly, and more importantly,
there is a situation where this problem can be dealt with, because the
same conditions on different servers produce different results.

  I am wondering if anyone has run into a situation like this, or if
someone with better understanding that I can think of why something
like this would happen.  I know that removing the restrictions on my
connection would be the easiest solution, but I have no control over
that.  Can anyone help me solve or at least further diagnose this
problem?  Is the premise (of some sort of port issue with the posting)
at least feasible?

Thanks,

Paras Mehta