httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Klug <brian.k...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] apache 2 zombie(?) processes with worker MPM
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 00:31:44 GMT
I am running the latest Apache/2 (worker MPM) on a few Fedora 2 boxes.

Once or twice a week during peek hours (20 requests/sec) it seems like
httpd loses track of what children it has.  'ps' will show 7 or 8
httpd processes - 1 parent process, 3 child processes (that match up
when I look at /apache-status), and a bunch of other httpd's that
seemingly have no purpose in life other then to use up precious
memory.

Right now I am using a perl script to kill any httpd process older
then 15 min's.  This works for now, but I want to fix the problem, not
the symptom.

Never do my slots fill up.  Never does the CPU go above 40%.

<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         3
ServerLimit          3
MaxClients          75
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  1000
</IfModule>

How can I get apache to clean up after itself?

Brian