httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Diehl <tdi...@rogueind.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Mass Virtual hosting and mod_rewrite
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:05:33 GMT
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:26:27 -0400 (EDT), Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > > 1. Write your own logfile splitter based on on split-logs, but with
> > > exceptions for the domains that need to be grouped together.
> >
> > I have already modified split-logs to do the right thing. The problem
> > is with logrotate and using symlinks in the vhost docroot. I need
> > to get rid of the symlinks, as best as I can tell.
>
> Sounds like a problem in logrotate.  Log rotation is not that hard a
> problem.  I suggest you modify your log rotation scripts to adapt to
> your configuration rather than the other way around.

It is not my script, in fact it is not a script but the logrotate program that
comes with any Red Hat system since I can remember. The problem is that I cannot
see a way to get it to ignore symlinks. Hence it will rotate the logs multiple
times even if they are 0 length. I may file it as a bug but that is more of a
long term solution, assuming the developers agree it is a bug/worthwhile feature.

> > > 2. Canonicalize the URLs (that is, redirect people who come in on
> > > alternative domain names to the "one true domain name).  This can be
> > > done using some relatively simple mod_rewrite rules either in
> > > httpd.conf or in an .htaccess file in your vhost docroot, or you can
> > > add <VirtualHost> sections with Redirect directives for these specific
> > > exceptions to httpd.conf.
> >
> > Will using <VirtualHost> sections still work with mod_vhost_alias enabled?
> > For that matter will any of the above suggestions work with mod_vhost_alias
> > enabled?
> >
> > The docs for mod_vhost_alias say that all hosts must be configured the
> > same but I have not actually tried any of this.
>
> Yes, you can combine mod_vhost_alias with regular name-based
> virtual-hosting.  Simply put your vhost_alias directives in the
> default (first listed) <VirtualHost> section and it will take care of
> any requests not covered by other specific <VirtualHost>s.

Well that is most likely the way I will go. Can I also combine this with
mod_rewrite, etc.?

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Tom