httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Diehl <tdi...@rogueind.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Mass Virtual hosting and mod_rewrite
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:50:03 GMT
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Joe Orton wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 06:35:50PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > What I am trying to accomplish is to have the ability to just drop a directory
> > into /home/www and have the site just work, If there are special conditions
> > such as a site that responds to some-domain.com and some-domain.net then I
> > simply want to add a VirtualHost block for just those hosts and have that work
> > also. In addition I need packages that are installed on the system and use
> > things like ScriptAlias cgi's etc. to still work.
>
> mod_vhost_alias is probably going to be easier to set up than to debug
> your rewrite rules: see the docs at:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html
>
> or for general discussion of doing mass virtual hosting at:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/mass.html which gives
> mod_rewrite examples too.

I already have mod_vhost_alias running but I ran into a problem, if I have a
site that has multiple domains such as example.com and myexample.com but they
both serve the same content. I either have to maintain 2 separate directory
structures or use symlinks. The problem with symlinks is that logrotate does
not appear to have a way to NOT follow symlinks. I run split-logs and put the
logs dir just above the doc root. When logrotate runs it rotates the logs once
for each domain that points to a site. Not good. :-(

I am just trying to avoid having to create a config file change for every
site I need to add and still be able to handle the special cases. The docs
for mod_vhost state it is only useful if all sites are configured the same,
hence my quest for mod_rewrite rules.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Tom