httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AW: [users@httpd] Re: Redirected URL query string being lost
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:22:20 GMT
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Steffen Heil wrote:

> I observed that I can set ... action="?" ..., which is a relative url with
> no parameters.
> Is this valid (X)HTML ?

Yes, though action="#" is more usual.

> > A 30x return code means that the resource requested is at another URI.
>
> No, 303 seems to do the right thing, but rfc2616 seems to imply that most
> user agents don't understand this and you should use 302.

302 was originally unambiguous.  But Mosaic and its descendents did
unambiguously the wrong thing, eventually precipitating a change in HTTP.

If (as I think someone said), what you're actually doing POST to do
something and redirect to return a page, why not drop the redirect
and use a 201 response instead?

> In my case this is not possible, since I NEED to change URLs.

NEED is a strong word.  Maybe an HTML <base> would accomplish
what you really need?  Together with a Content-Location header.

> My last resort would be HTTP-EQUIV or JavaScript redirects, which I don't
> like either.

Agreed there:-)

--
Nick Kew