httpd-users mailing list archives

From "M. Dragon" <mdra...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Segmented Page Updates
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:27:22 GMT
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

> This may be more of an HTML type question - but as I'm developing for an
> Apache server I will ask here first.
>
> I would like to serve pages to my client's browsers (primarily Firefox)
> where after clicking an option in a part of the page a different area
> changes.  Example:  a list of people is displayed in an independently
> scrollable column on the left side, and as each person's name is
> clicked, their detailed information is displayed in the upper right.
> What technology should I look into to accomplish this using Apache 1.x
> on Linux and Firefox browsers?  Frames, layouts, or something else?

This isn't really much of a server-related question, but I've got an
answer anyways :>

Where I work, we have a webapp that does this all the time. The basic way
you do this is to have a <div></div>  tag (with the 'id' attribute set so
you can find it.) and use a bit of javascript to fetch and reload the
contents of the div. You have to do the loading differently for IE and
Firefox/mozilla.  Moz/Firefox has an XMLHttpRequest object you can use to
fetch the new content. In IE you have to use an ActiveX object named
"microsoft.XMLHTTP"

--
	M. Dragon