httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Steffen Heil" <li...@steffen-heil.de>
Subject AW: [users@httpd] Re: Redirected URL query string being lost
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:46:36 GMT
Hi

> Note that "action" is a REQUIRED attribute; if you leave it out, your
markup is not valid (X)HTML.

Right now it works in IE, Mozilla, Firefox and other tested browsers.

However, I agree, that I would like to be standard-compliant. Now, I have
the problem, that I don't know the url of the page (it is a module of your
content-management system).

I observed that I can set ... action="?" ..., which is a relative url with
no parameters.
Is this valid (X)HTML ?

> According to the HTTP specification, it does mean that, but I don't know
if all user agents behave that way.

No, at least IE doesn't. Firefox propably doesn't also.

> A 30x return code means that the resource requested is at another URI.

No, 303 seems to do the right thing, but rfc2616 seems to imply that most
user agents don't understand this and you should use 302.

> Hehe... no, I will probably not do that now.

:D

> The method would be to render a page as a result of the POST request, and
maybe make some mechanism so the action isn't reperformed.

In my case this is not possible, since I NEED to change URLs.
My last resort would be HTTP-EQUIV or JavaScript redirects, which I don't
like either.

Regards,
  Steffen