httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Simpson <Michael.Simp...@Express.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] password protect files
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 13:40:57 GMT
Hello.

I'm using Apache 2 and can password protect a directory with no problem.
However, I need to password protect just 1 file within a directory, not the
whole directory.

I've searched the web and Apache's website but found nothing re: just files
(only directories).

I do the authentification from within the conf file (not a seperate
.htaccess file).

Can someone tell me what's the obvious error below:

Alias /library "C:/xxx/yyy/zzz/admin.html"

  <Files "C:/xxx/yyy/zzz/admin.html">
        AuthType Basic
	AuthName "LIBRARY STAFF ONLY"
	AuthUserFile "C:/Apache2/<dir>/<filename>"
	Require user <user>
  </Files>

The following works for protecting a directory:

Alias /library "C:/xxx/yyy/zzz"

  <Directory "C:/xxx/yyy/zzz">
        AuthType Basic
	AuthName "LIBRARY STAFF ONLY"
	AuthUserFile "C:/Apache2/<dir>/<filename>"
	Require user <user>
  </Directory>

Thanks in advance.

Michael Simpson
Systems Development
Express Newspapers
mailto:michael.simpson@express.co.uk
020-7922-7225 (w)
020-7922-7799 (f)

The NMA: Opening Up Newspapers http://www.nmauk.co.uk

Visit Express Newspapers and OK Magazine online picture archive at
http://www.expresspictures.com/

###EXN2004###

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Express Newspapers
and/or privileged material.If you are not the intended recipient
of this message please do not read ,copy, use or disclose this
communication and notify the sender immediately. It should be
noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
Email communications may be monitored

##EXN2000##